Immigration and Asylum Law

Immigration law is the area of law that deals with the right of a foreign national to be in the country. The primary law in this area is the Aliens Act (2005:716). Asylum law is the area of law that deals with the right of refugees to protection. The rights of refugees are mainly governed by the 1951 Refugee Convention.

Immigration Law 

Our immigration lawyers at Advantage Law Firm have extensive experience in both asylum- and immigration law and we are happy to assist you with any specific questions that you might have. 

We offer legal advice and help, for instance, in cases concerning residence permits, work permits, and citizenship applications. As your lawyer, we will submit the application to you and be there during every step until the final decision arrives.   

We are also able to help you as your immigration lawyer when you have gotten a negative or unsatisfying decision from for example the Swedish Migration Agency or the administrative courts. Don’t hesitate to contact us for further legal help.  

Residence Permit in Sweden 

If you are looking to settle in Sweden on the grounds of kinship or relationship with for example a spouse or another partner, you must first obtain a residence permit. In Sweden, even future spouses and other partners can be granted a residence permit. Children below the age of 18 have a right to reunite with their parents in Sweden provided that the legal guardian has given their written consent. Our immigration lawyers can provide legal help as well as submit the application as your representative.  

Asylum in Sweden 

Anyone who has left their country and is seeking protection from persecution and other serious human rights violations in Sweden is entitled to apply for asylum in Sweden. When you first arrive to Sweden you must register your application. When your application has been registered you will be called to an initial meeting at the Swedish Migration Agency and there you will be able to choose your public lawyer. You can choose one of our lawyers as your public lawyer and then we will be contacted by the Migration Agency to help you with your case. We will ensure that your asylum application is handled with the care and urgency that it needs.  

Residence Permit in Sweden – Self Employed 

To obtain a residence permit to run your own business you must meet several requirements. For instance, you must own at least 51% of the business, you must have a valid passport, and you must show that you have considerable experience in the industry or that you have previously run your own business. You must also show that you have the language skills needed and that you have enough funds to support yourself and your family over a period of two years. As your lawyer, we are able to make sure that you fulfill all the requirements to apply for a residence permit as a person who has their own business.  

Residence Permit in Sweden – Work permit 

To obtain a work permit in Sweden you must have a job and be able to show a signed employment contract. The seeker of the permit is not permitted to enter Sweden until the permit has been granted, except in some exceptional cases. Furthermore, you need to have a valid passport, and the terms and the salary of the employment must be at least on par with Swedish collective agreements, customary conditions, or what is customary within the occupation/industry. The position that you have been employed at must also be advertised in Sweden and within the EU. As your lawyer in Sweden, we are able to help you with the whole process from application to decision.  


If you are a citizen outside of the EU, you might need a visit visa to visit Sweden. A visa for visits can be granted by any of the countries that have agreed to the Schengen Agreement. With an approved Schengen visa a person is permitted to travel within the whole Schengen Area without border controls.  

To apply for a visit visa in Sweden you must meet several requirements. You must for instance have a passport that is valid for three months longer than the approved visa´s expiration date, you must also have 450 SEK per each day that you are residing in Sweden. As your lawyer, we are able to help you with all the requirements as well as fill in the application form for you.     

Migration and asylum law specialists as your lawyer  

No matter what you need help with, we can help you! With broad and in-depth knowledge of migration and asylum law, we know how to handle cases. If you need help, do not hesitate to contact us.  

Feel free to call us at 08 – 20 21 40 or email us at

Book Consultation

Please fill out the form below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Aktivera JavaScript i din webbläsare för att slutföra detta formulär.